The Video Editor tool allows you to trim the start and end of your video, or chop parts in the middle of your video. You can then save a new clip based on your edits, or permanently replace the existing video.
How to use the Video Editor
Launch the Video Editor:
- On your My Media page, click the 'Edit' button (pencil icon) for the video you wish to edit:
- Click the 'Launch Editor' button next to the video preview:
Saving edited videos
There are two options when saving edited videos. The 'Save' option will overwrite your existing video with the edited version. The 'Save a Copy' option will make a new video with your edits, leaving the original file unedited.
Useful functions to know
The Video Editor has some useful functions to be aware of when working on edits:
- Reset, Redo, Undo: undo and redo changes, or use the reset button to start again.
- Timeline Zoom: increase the length of the Timeline for greater accuracy.
- Help: to adjust settings and find keyboard shortcuts for navigating the Timeline.
- Exit: leave the video editor without saving and changes.
How to trim a video
At the bottom of the Video Editor panel is a Timeline showing the length of your video. If you wish to trim the start and/or the end off your video:
- Click in the timeline to position the playhead where you want the video to begin, then click the 'Set In' button:
- Click in the timeline to position the playhead where you want the video to end, then click the 'Set Out' button:
- You should now have selected a portion of the video between the In and Out markers:
- Click the 'Save' or 'Save a Copy' buttons to save the video using just the selected portion.
Note: you can click and drag the yellow handles at the start and end of the video to choose the In and Out points if you wish.
How to chop a video
You can use the Split tool to cut the Timeline at specific points, allowing you to isolate and remove sections of the video timeline:
- Click in the timeline to position the playhead where you want to make a first cut (e.g. at the 3 second mark) and click the 'Split' button:
- Click in the timeline to position the playhead where you want to make a second cut (e.g. at the 4 second mark) and click the 'Split' button:
- Click the segment in the timeline to select it, then click the Delete button:
- Click the 'Save' or 'Save a Copy' buttons to save the video. When the video is saved, the timeline is stitched back together automatically by the editor, skipping the blank sections where you have deleted parts of the video.
Official Kaltura documentation - Kaltura Video Editing Tools and the Editor Tab