- Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic) (Chair)
- Indigenous community members, one from each of the ACT, NSW, Victoria and Queensland
- Director, Centre for Indigenous Education and Research
- Academic Coordinator, Dhara Daramoolan Indigenous Higher Education Unit
- Academic Coordinator, Jim-baa-yer Indigenous Higher Education Unit
- Academic Coordinator, Weemala Indigenous Higher Education Unit
- Academic Coordinator, Yalbalinga Indigeous Higher Education Unit
- Director, Institute for Advancing Community Engagement
- Indigenous Employment Coordinator
Two Indigenous students from the location of the respective meeting attend on each occasion.
Date of Establishment: Established in the 1990s as the Aboriginal Consultative Committee, from October 2005 National Indigenous Advisory Committee and renamed IEC in 2009
Meeting Frequency: 2 times per year
Responsible Officer: Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic)
Executive Officer: Senior Administrative Officer, Centre for Indigenous Education and Research
Terms of Reference
To advise on national issues pertaining to:
- strategies to enhance Indigenous students' access to and participation, progress and success in tertiary education;
- the University's programs for Indigenous peoples;
- provision of support for Indigenous students;
- inclusion of Indigenous perspectives within the courses provided by the University;
- employment of Indigenous staff and the cultural awareness of non-Indigenous staff;
- the teaching and learning and research nexus in relation to Indigenous education;
- the University's Indigenisation Thematic Plan;
- the University's response to government policies and programs relating to Indigenous Education.
The Committee reviews its procedures as it deems necessary and recommends accordingly to Academic Board.
Mode of Operation: Membership of the Aboriginal Torres Strait Islander Education Committee is appointed by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic). The appointment term for nominated members is two years; members may be considered for subsequent terms of office.